‘Nearly Greek’ Warm Salad
A team favourite here at Purition HQ! Quite simply a taste of the Greek Isles on a plate. Our ‘Nearly Greek’ Salad makes a superb side dish to any grilled meat or fish or as a meal in itself. Leftovers are great for your salad bowl at lunchtime… if you’re lucky enough to have any!
- 1 or 2 heads of broccoli, florets
- ½ or 1 red onion
- 1 pack Feta cheese
- ½ or a whole Cucumber, peeled, halved, seeds removed and sliced
- Juice of half a lemon and 2 tbsp. olive oil – to dress the salad
- Ripped fresh mint/ coriander leaves to taste
- Pitted black olives [optional]
- Cut the broccoli into bite size florets and cook (uncovered) until just tender in boiling salted water (4-6 minutes). Leave to cool slightly (uncovered, putting the saucepan lid on at this point will make your broccoli loose it’s lovely vibrant green).
- Prepare the other salad ingredients; peel the cucumber, sliced long ways and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon. Slice into half-moons. Slice the red onion finely.
- When ready to plate up, place all prepped ingredients into a salad bowl, dress with olive oil and lemon juice, crumble the whole (or just half) pack of Feta over the salad, sprinkle the fresh mint/coriander leaves (and optional black olives) over and serve.
We love this recipe because in the summer months, when you’ve just about had enough of cold salads and limp lettuce, the combination of broccoli, onions, cucumber and feta bring some real goodness and flavour to the table. Such a simple way of adding excitement and freshness to our old classics; lamb burgers, koftas, steak, beef burgers or a whole roast chicken. I urge you to give this one a go, the family will love it. Can be prepared in advance too (as a cold side dish), so perfect for family BBQ’s or if you need a crowd pleaser to take round to your family or friends!
If you don’t have any fresh herbs to hand, a sprinkle of dried oregano over the top works a treat. If you have some lovely ripe tomatoes that need using up, they work well in this dish too. Keep a pack of good quality feta cheese in your fridge, it keeps for ages and adds something a bit special to so many ‘average’ meals… Delicious over any salad or green veggies, crumble some into a frittata, use it to make a salad dressing; add a few squares to your bullet with some olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and fresh basil and/ or oregano and whizz up to make a nice creamy dressing.
When following a clean, low carb diet it’s really important to find fresh new ways of serving your food to keep it interesting, whilst it still being good for you. We think our ‘nearly Greek’ salad does a great job of doing this, adding excitement to everyday nutrient rich ingredients like broccoli and onions… keeping life simple and the family happy and well, through healthy food.
Start your day right, have a healthy, protein filled breakfast to keep you going until lunch, without the need for snacking. Then it’ll be time to enjoy some lovely leftover ‘nearly Greek salad’.
The dish is served as a side dish to our Lamb Kofta’s (which are delicious and can also be made into burgers for the BBQ). Let us know if you want the recipe and we’ll post it for you!