If there’s one recipe we should all have in our repertoire, surely it has to be one for a great ‘Spag Bol’? Here we’ve given it a low-carb spin and swapped out the pasta for some spiralized courgettes, promise you’ll still love it!
- For the Bolognese
- 500g x Beef mince
- 4 x Fresh vine tomatoes, chopped
- 1 x Large onion, finely chopped
- 1 x Carrot, finely chopped
- 1 x Celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 x Clove of garlic, grated/ crushed
- 1 tbsp x Tomato puree
- 1 heaped tsp x Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 x Glass of red or white wine (whatever you have open)
- 1 x Kallo Organic beef stock cube
- 1 tbsp x Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- For the Courgetti
- 6 x Large courgettes
Low Carb Bolognese
1. To make the Bolognese: Take a large frying pan/ wok and gently fry the chopped onion, carrot & celery until soft (takes about 8-10 minutes, over a medium heat), after 8/10 minutes add the grated garlic and oregano and mix through. Remove from pan and place to the side until needed.
2. Turn up the heat a little (now medium to high), and brown the beef mince. Reduce the heat (to medium), add the onion, carrot and celery mix to the pan and stir well. Add the tomato puree and cook out for 3-5 minutes, stirring well. Add the fresh tomatoes, wine and stock cube (and balsamic vinegar if using), bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook for at least 20/ 30 minutes to allow all flavours to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. To make the Courgetti: wash and top and tail the courgettes, using a spiralizer or julienne peeler, create thin ‘spaghetti-like’ strands. These can be eaten raw, or warmed through in a pan with a little boiling water (steam for 1-2 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste.
To serve: Pile up the Courgetti and top with Bolognese sauce
Optional serving ideas:
Serve with some grated Parmesan cheese & fresh basil leaves
Turn the sauce into lasagna using cauliflower puree (pureed boiled & salted cauliflower) and layers of spinach or courgette ribbons. The Bolognese improves the longer you cook it for (also great the next day!)
Great to batch cook for the freezer
Subs and Cheats:
Sub wine for water
Sub fresh tomatoes for ½ tin of tinned, or use a couple of handfuls of cherry tomatoes
Swap the beef mince for a pack or two of ready made supermarket meatballs, brown the meatballs and allow to simmer in the tomato sauce to cook through
Why not have a go at creating this recipe? Remember to tag us @puritionuk #Purition