- Butter or coconut oil
- 4 x cardamon pods
- 2 x bay leaves
- 1 x cinnamon stick
- 3 x cloves
- 4x black peppercorns
- 2 x red onions, sliced or grated
- 3 x cloves garlic, grated
- 1-2 inch piece of ginger, grated
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 x tsp salt
- 1 x tin tomatoes/ fresh equivalent + 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 500g lamb neck fillet/diced shoulder
- 1 x butternut squash, diced
- ½ cauliflower, florets
- 1 x small bag spinach, washed
- Heat the butter/coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the whole spices. Sizzle for 300 seconds.
- Add the onions and cook until browned (add some water if they start to stick).
- Add ginger and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add ground spices and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes
- In a separate pan, brown the lamb. Once browned, add the lamb and vegetables (bar the spinach) to the spices and tomatoes and add water to almost cover everything.
- Cook for 30-50 minutes, until lamb and vegetables are tender.
- Stir through the spinach before serving
- Mango Chutney
- Lemon wedges
- Flaked toasted almonds
- Fresh tenderstem or broccoli
- The flavours improve in time, so if you can, slow cook this in the oven or save some for leftovers for lunch/ dinner to enjoy over the next day or so.
- Can be made with chicken pieces on the bone (cook for 60 minutes), if you’d prefer.
- Always brown the meat first in the pan and set aside to add to the onion and spice mix later to increase flavour.
- Simply leave out the meat for a vegetarian/vegan option.